View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 01:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Jack-MTL
EcoModding Lurker

SilverVan - '13 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT+
Team Dodge
90 day: 17.6 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
Alright guys, this is going to sound a bit strange. (Hey, it says way off topic)

What happens if an AC appliance, TV, game system, microwave, were to come in contact with DC (specifically car) battery terminals?

I know, it's not a good idea. I know, it won't really fit, I know, it's ridiculous. But for informational and a small wager (not mentioning my position), what would occur to the AC appliance? There was a lot of time on two devices searching for the answer, but as we puzzled Google, nothing was found to help answer.
Hi, I studied electrical engineering in college so I can tell you a few things about that.

Most of the AC appliances have transformers in them, transformers will be the exact equivalent of a long wire when DC is applied. No power at all will make it to the appliance side. If you have a strong battery, like a car battery, and small wire with not too much resistance, you will just fry the wiring in the transformer.

Anything with an electronic power supply will simply not power up because 12V is way too far below what they need to work.

I would guess that very few thing would be badly damaged, or damaged at all actually. However, if you started to put several batteries or a Hybrid battery-pack at 144V or 250V DC, then I would strongly suggest to take cover, sparks will be abundant!

If you get a multimeter and check some power outlets, I'm sure you could find a few of them with already a DC bias, they will read 120V on AC and 3-4 V on DC, probably not 12V, but it's not a big difference for anything designed to take 120V AC.