View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #120 (permalink)
racprops
Master EcoModder

That was one of the ideas I was considering.

Which is why the question on the PCM.

It is a stated fact by many automotive reports that the PCM has been programed to run dirty, to use more fuel than need just to keep the cat lit/hot.

There was (and I cannot put my hands on it, I have been researching these ideas for more that 10 years) a article/report supposedly written by the very man that invented the Chevy Tuned Port Intakes that originally it gave 45+ MPG and burned so clean there was no need for a CAT.

BUT as cats were mandatory and such great MPG was outlawed he was forced to detune it.

But that maybe why the Easter Egg "Lean Burn Cruse" was left in the PCM for those early cars.

There are so many such reports out there...

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
OBD II is simply a standard for diagnosis. The actual software/hardware functions are highly variable. You will not find a single "silver bullet" that will magically help any vehicle out there, as far as engine efficiency.

That is why driving style and aerodynamic mods are the first things to perform - the low hanging fruit.

If you want a research platform to do your work on, you can keep the Ford, but integrate in a Megasquirt engine control system to achieve total control.