View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
liquidzorch
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000neon View Post
EDIT: Whoops, I didn't see that there was a second page and that rooster had already covered this.

In my opinion, this is part of your problem. Try accelerating "briskly". Don't just floor it, but don't be afraid of the throttle when accelerating, use the engines torque and optimal BSFC range. Do not give it enough throttle (or rpm) to cause the ECU to richen the fuel mixture, but don't be afraid to accelerate. You have to burn fuel to accelerate no matter what, it is better to use a little more fuel for a much shorter time, than slightly less fuel but for a very prolonged acceleration up to speed.

When I had my old Neon and started really pushing for better fuel economy I tried driving like you do (barely touching the throttle), and it hurt my economy.
Ok I have already refilled and I am accelerating briskly this week. Lets see if it helps. I also had another question about accelerating. In my city we have a lot of over passes, and under passes, I spend most of my time on them since there are no traffic lights. But when going down hill, sometimes I can go for miles without loosing speed in neutral. Is it better to leave it in neutral until speed starts to drop, leaving it in 5th gear with no gas pedal, or pressing the gas pedal just enough to maintain speed. Like I said, in neutral I dont loose speed for a couple miles, but in gear I do loose a little speed. I just dont know if it uses less gas in neutral (idling) or leaving it in gear. I would guess neutral uses less.