View Single Post
Old 09-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
mikeyjd
Master EcoModder

Matchbox - '93 Ford Festiva L
Team Ford
Last 3: 70.16 mpg (US)

Salamander - '99 Chrysler Concorde LXI
Team Dodge
90 day: 30.3 mpg (US)

Urquhart - '97 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 3.4L DLX
Pickups
90 day: 25.81 mpg (US)

Smudge - '98 Toyota Tacoma
90 day: 40.65 mpg (US)

Calebro - '15 Renault Trafic 1.25 dci
90 day: 39.39 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitso View Post
I changed my driving attitude. That is the single most important thing I have done. I drove a 150 mile round trip on Tuesday and was in the two slowest lanes almost the entire time at 65 MPH. I may even slow down more next time to see what I can do.

I live in the SoCal desert so the grille block may not be an option in the summer. I plan on getting one happening this winter while it's cool to see how much it helps. I will take it off before the heat comes back to monitor the engine temp then put it back on to see the effects. If the engine temp seems okay, I'll leave it on. I definitely don't want to damage my truck.

I just put new tires on, have about 8,000 miles on them so won't be going there. I will up the pressure in them. I am trying to get a baseline with just driving technique before I do any other mods.

Jack
It sounds like you have a good basic understanding of what you want. That is a great start.

A truck topper is often better than driving without one, it all depends on the shape. There are allot of great articles here dealing with this topic.

I'd predict going from 65mph to 55mph you'd be in store for a very significant mpg gain.