View Single Post
Old 09-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
void

Quote:
Originally Posted by redyaris View Post
One question I do have is what or how much does the void volume inside the fairing matter? I am wondering if filling the void with solid stuff reduces the mass of air that is involved in causing drag? My suspision is that the relationship is not linier and that there is no way to make the space between the windshiel and the cargo bay full enough to have much effect anyway. Has any one done any research on opening size/volume and drag for bluff bodies?
If you'll go up to the Aero.Forum and do a Search Ecomodder for 'full-boat-tail trailer for T-100' you'll find some pictorial drag tables for tractor-trailer rigs which include 'gap' drag.
Also,in wind tunnel research on top-down convertibles,the wind tunnel personnel discovered that placing mannequins in the test vehicle seats positively influenced drag.
You could patent a line of Velcro-attached,break-away, clothing -fairings which would close off the transverse contamination of the body fairing void,while allowing the rider range of motion to dynamically balance the bike during crosswinds and gusts.
Better hurry to file your patent,as at least two others are currently drafting their's!

redyaris (11-04-2013)