View Single Post
Old 09-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
cfd_guy
EcoModding Lurker

cfdguy - '13 VW Golf TDI
Hello all and hope to enjoy my stay

Hello to everybody on this forum reading this. I am a new guy to trying to get the max gas mileage out of my car. I just bought a 2013 VW Golf TDI. Always been into performance cars (still am aka looking for a 930 porsche ) but this is my daily driver for my longish commute to work.

I am a mechanical engineer by trade and have worked in motorsports and automotive field. My main focus is on aerodynamics (which is why I like this site already) and aerodynamic design. I use cfd for a lot of my aerodynamic design analysis. I have used many commercial software platforms like fluent and star-ccm. I currently use OpenFOAM for my consulting since it is free and a solid software. OpenFOAM is used quite a bit in the cfd consulting in motorsports which is how I became versed in it.

I just last year did a consulting job for a GTI Golf. I am going to use that model and tweak it to my car. The GTI analysis was for racing however, but here are a few cfd plots (hancha is the name of my friend and I's engineering consulting company). Well I guess I can't post pictures yet...so I guess no pictures

I hope I can contribute to the forum