View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #991 (permalink)
Alteredstory
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
So if we can't "stop" climate change (which we can't in the long run anyway) They will be able to farm in antartica, and the tropic zones will be over more land mass. The population will shrink for a spell and once arid land will be rainforest. Does that terrify you?
First of all, it will be hundreds of years before Antarctica is ice-free, if it EVER is, and by that time sea levels will be hundreds of feet higher. There is no guarantee that it will be farmable.

Second, there is no guarantee that humanity will survive. I think it's likely that we will, but I would like to increase the odds on that.

Third, we will be living at the beginning of the period during which "the population will shrink", and yes - I'm rather unhappy about that.

Fourth, while you're looking for the source of your "1400 degree" prediction, please find your source for arid land turning into rainforest as well. From what I've been able to find, there is no indication that such a trend will exist.

Look - I don't expect you to change your mind in this conversation. Human brains don't work that way. All I want is for you to actually look at the evidence, rather than the Daily Mail, pundits, and science fiction authors. Think about it, and return to the topic, rather than accusing people of terrorism, and making stuff up.