View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #1036 (permalink)
Alteredstory
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
I never saw "Inconvenient", but I did the AV setup a lot. I saw a lot of traumatized people leaving. The righteous judgmental hypochondriac traumatic spoiled fetus approach hasn't helped ANYONES quality of life. It isn't win win if you look at it empirically and unbiasedly.

Working in a field, heavens no, we can't have that. LOL! I really wish you could hear yourself. Like it would be a tragedy for humans to grow their own food or something, like we haven't survived all but the past 150ish years without everyone having a fake ass desk job, that is "developed", no it is just different, and might not be viable.
I agree that guilt-tripping is a bad motivator which is why, again, I haven't tried to do so. You seem to be mistaking "pointing out what's going on and what can be done about it" for "guilt-tripping".

Yes - finding out something scary that you hadn't known before can be scary. That's not the fault of the people who discovered something scary. For a number of years now, I've been approaching it from the "things could get really bad, but hey, there's no reason they HAVE to, we can use this to come out on top" angle. You may be FEELING guilt-tripped, and if so, I'm sorry you feel that way, but I've not told you you SHOULD be feeling guilty, or that YOU should be doing more than you are, or anything like that.

I have noticed, however, that no matter HOW the topic comes up, and no matter how it's discussed, some people assume they are being guilt-tripped. In this case, you seem to be trying to guilt-trip ME for presenting my case for why I think global warming is a bad thing.

I also don't know where you got your whole rant about working in a field vs desk jobs. As soon as I can afford to, I'm going to buy a crappy piece of land well above sea level, and spend a good chunk of my time (a)growing my own food and (b)trying to come up with creative solutions to doing so in an unstable climate. Come to that, I tried to set up a group-supported project so that a LOT of people could work on that if they wanted to. It's a shame that it fell through, but I'm still looking to do it.

That's been one of my goals for several years now.

At this point, you seem to be talking to a version of myself that only exists in your mind. I don't see that as a way for either of us to have a useful conversation.