View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013, 03:55 AM   #1048 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alteredstory View Post
Also, it's easy to claim any number of factors as "the reason" why Europe is having a tough time of it. They got hit in 2008 like everybody else, and since then, as America's economy has ALSO struggled, I've heard it blamed on energy policy, social policy, drought, refugees from Africa, austerity, and probably one or two other things that I'm not recalling right now. Some countries are struggling more than we are, some seem to be struggling LESS (compared to where they were before the crash - let's not forget that some countries haven't had "strong economies" for decades if not more), and whether or not they're pushing renewable energy seems to have little to do with it.
I would agree that this isn't the reason why Europe is having a hard time, just that whilst Europe is struggling it seems perverse to plonk an extra unelected and wanted layer of taxation and unrequired cost on people who are already struggling, and contrasting that with economies where energy is cheap which are doing better.

There is a backlash coming against these policies - they aren't the only factors but politics are changing in Europe - some countries like the UK may even leave the political side of it altogether. It isn't a left vs right thing, many on the left here are unhappy about these too.