View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #54 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbar View Post
The mentality of the ecomodder is similar to a reckless driver. You are in your car and you're going to do whatever the hell you want in it. Ecomodders have no issue holding up traffic, going below the speed limit, accelerating slowly, driving with engine off or disconnected power steering (most would think that is crazy and dangerous), sailing through turns and down hills on skinny overinflated tires.
I think you're confusing ecomodders with hypermilers. Granted there's probably quite a bit of overlap (as many people do both), but it's still not at all the same thing.

But let's think about some of your claims, just for exercise. Now I personally DO have an issue with holding up traffic, and so will keep right (except to pass) on multi-lane roads, and pull over & use turnouts on mountain roads, something I see few others do when I'm the one wanting to go faster.

I accelerate faster from lights &c than say 9 out of 10 other people, despite not hot-rodding and mostly driving a car with a little 1000 cc engine.

I do often drive with the engine off. In fact, the car (Honda Insight) is designed to do it automatically. What exactly is dangerous about this? Same for disconnected power steering. I am not a little old lady. I have no problem tossing around loads of hay, or firewood logs, so why shouldn't I be able to turn a steering wheel without mechanical assistance?

As for sailing through the turns, that's what makes driving fun. Maybe you're only able to drive in straight lines, but other people can. And maybe if you didn't drive around on squishy underinflated tires, your car would handle better in the turns :-)