View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #56 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Not sure about others but I am really very stealthy with my techniques. On the Interstate (65 limit) I have found through experience that I personally am much better off driving in the right lane, especially if I can pick up a drafting partner. I64 traffic here is usually heavy and there are plenty of container trucks heading to the huge facility in Norfolk. I can get better mileage at 65 in a 3 stripe draft than I can at 55 MPH without any other traffic.

The only time I will willingly obstruct traffic is when I get a jackass tailgating me to the point of recklessness and increasing my risk potential. In that case I'll P%G the idiot until they get the idea and pass me.

People who are stupid and want to race to a red light are free to go past me anytime. Around here you have a lot of Military and many are just back in country and probably have battle fatigue. Just go around me and be on your way and we can get along fine. I'm probably in the bottom 10% of average speeds and I would drive below the speed limit if there was no other traffic to contend with.

There are also route choices where the roads are practically deserted and they are my real favorites. I can drive all over Virginia using the old US routes and avoid the Interstate idiocy completely. I did that in my CVT 2002 Insight and averaged 70.2 MPG over a trip of more than 600 miles with 90% of it in one day, with speeds averaging 55 MPH.

I drove pretty crazy when I was young in cars like a 67 383 Formula S Barracuda coupe, that averaged 10 MPG, but I never really acted stupidly reckless and with few exceptions always respected the rights of other drivers.

regards
Mech
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Flakbadger (09-21-2013), larrybuck (09-22-2013)