View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #58 (permalink)
P-hack
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbar View Post
Both are causing inconvenience to other drivers to suit their needs...
On behalf of the ecomodder (hypermiler) there is a fundamental tradeoff between time and money here. When I drove like a regular a$$hat in my econobox I would get like 24mpg and my commute took 40min. Whereas I nearly doubled my mpg and it took 45min with techniques and route selection and some fairly simple mods. Just in terms of time vs money there is an decent case to be made for hypermiling in my experience, 10 minutes for ~$8 in fuel per day. Obviously there are intermediate examples as well.

And given the amount of attention I was paying to my driving, I would argue that I was not contributing to less safe conditions for other drivers (excepting those that were not paying much attention). The best way to avoid an accident is to pay attention, the best way to drive efficiently is to pay lots of attention. You are looking for potential obstructions all the time and adjusting accordingly, if you are well aware of obstructions you are less likely to slam into them (especially if you are not speeding and have maximal reaction time). As well as I was not enraged by slower traffic in the slightest, it was seen as an opportunity.