View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #1075 (permalink)
Occasionally6
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEnemy View Post
I have done a climate model myself, with the results posted in this thread, with nothing more than Open Office from 1000 AD to present.
If you think you can create a climate model, by yourself, with nothing more than Open Office, you don't know what a climate model is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Yes I have, I didn't say climate models But I know how to make one and how to "calibrate" and "validate" it - which is not the same as hindcasting as has been said.
What is the difference then? If you feed the data into a model as they occurred in the real world (from a point in time in the past - or not), then see if that matches what the real world result is (at a later time), that's' validating the model. If it doesn't match, either the real world data are incomplete or the model needs revision.

If the model matches real world outcomes reliably on past climate, then it can be used with some expectation of reliability in prediction.

Quote:
BTW the "scientists" who make climate models are not the same ones that go and gather the data.
So?

Last edited by Occasionally6; 09-21-2013 at 07:16 PM..