View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
liquidzorch
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
Well, actually, the engines compression ratio does NOT change, just the density of the air going into the engine is less than at sea level...so the engine is compressing a less dense AF mixture to start with.

Supercharging (continuous engine driven) or turbocharging (variable exhaust driven) systems and turbocompound (both) technologies were developed initially for aircraft, but have been also encorporated into automotive vehicles, most notably: (a) diesel engines (turbos) and (b) drag racing engines (superchargers).

You didn't mention (in this posting) which model/engine your car is. Is it fuel injected? Can it run on ethanol-laced gasoline, E15-E85, etc.?
Thanks for the reply. I know it does not lower compression ratio, it just acts like it has a lower compression ratio due to less air density. I get 150 psi on a compression test here, and at sea level it would give me 170 psi, so its not affecting the engine only the amount of air.

I dont want to invest much in this car, so a turbo charger is way too much. But do you think higher compression ratio will help?

My car is a 93 civic lx, d15b7 engine. Here in mexico we do not have ethanol gasoline, only 87 and 93 octane without ethanol.