View Single Post
Old 06-28-2008, 05:23 AM   This thread is in the EcoModder Project Library | #1 (permalink)
justpassntime
What? THIS IS MY GOOD CAR

The Japillac - '87 Honda Accord LXi Sedan
90 day: 31.77 mpg (US)

Ranchero GT - '73 Ford Ranchero GT

Spaz - '83 Chevy S10 4X4 Tahoe
90 day: 27.53 mpg (US)
Send a message via ICQ to justpassntime
Fender Skirts & Low Profile Headlamps (87 Accord)

My first ecomod project was the fender skirts. I made them out of the sheet metal from the top of a S10 cab. I pounded them out on a sand bag with a rubber mallet. They are held on with two 1/4" rods, one at the top and one at the bottom. The bottom rod slips through metal clamps and is drilled and pinned in place. The top rod is held at the front buy one screw in a bracket and in the rear slips through a bracket. So it is only held by two pins and one screw. I only needed to drill one hole on each wheel well for these to mount. I did notice that the car is quieter with the skirts on. My dad says I need to stop watching American Chopper.

I have people ask me "how are you going to change a tire?" I always tell them I have airless tires.

The second mod were the headlamps. After driving at night and realizing I was losing 4 mpg I decided to change them. The headlamps came from a 1996 Grand Prix, cost was $17.00, they are mounted to brackets made from the arms from satellite tv dishes. The lights happened to be the same height as the turn signal/side maker. I am going to weld the light doors on to the hood and put lexan over the lights. I think it already looks better than the pop ups. I did have to also modify the radiator support slightly to make room for the lights. I also used diodes from a bad alternator in the wiring so the low beams would stay on with the high beams. I didn't gain any noticeable mpg but I won't be losing any either.

Geo Storms have the same lights but the bucket was made of plastic. The ones from the Grand Prix are metal so are much easier to work with. Some years of Camaros have them also.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8c65.jpg
Views:	1157
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1045   Click image for larger version

Name:	38c63.jpg
Views:	1041
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1046   Click image for larger version

Name:	77ad.jpg
Views:	1081
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1047   Click image for larger version

Name:	a6fe.jpg
Views:	877
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1048  

Last edited by justpassntime; 06-30-2008 at 12:12 AM..