View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013, 12:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Sean.Heihn
EcoModding Lurker

Land Shark - '11 Toyota Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Team Toyota
90 day: 36.68 mpg (US)
I think Toyota 4 cylinders like to rev higher. I noticed it in my '02 Corolla (1zz-fe engine, the same as the earlier BSFC chart), shifting at higher RPM gave me better fuel economy, and faster acceleration to boot. Didn't have Torque yet, so couldn't monitor engine parameters. With my Yaris, I've noticed the same thing. I've been shifting at low RPM because the Yaris seems to have a better low end torque vs vehicle weight ratio, thinking it would give me better MPG, but need to break the habit because shifting at higher RPM gives me the same or better momentary fuel economy, as measured by Torque, but gets me up to speed and into high efficiency cruising faster, so I use less fuel to get to speed and increase my average FE. I've found Torque to be accurate but a little low when it comes to MPG measurements; my long term average on Torque is 36.8, while my calculated is 36.9. I also see little change in momentary FE going 60 mph vs 70 mph, hell, I even still get about 40 mpg going 80 mph.

Last edited by Sean.Heihn; 09-25-2013 at 03:56 AM..