View Single Post
Old 06-28-2008, 10:36 AM   #109 (permalink)
ttoyoda
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I'm slightly concerned about the spacers flexing a bit and bending the aluminum. How about if I added an angle iron, with a hard rubber strip on it, not attached to the base of the motor (furthest point from the transmission), but just supporting it? The motor could still wiggle around a bit and be free, but the aluminum wouldn't have to suffer the full brunt of the motor's weight, especially when going over a big pothole?
Make a triangulated angle iron frame from the tranny. If you hope to suppot any motor weight at all during bumps, you will have to bolt the iron fram hard to the motor at the back faceplate. To make the rubber idea work, you would have to determine what stiffness of rubber matches the stiffness of the rest of what you have assembled, and that is not going to happen

Quote:
Also, according to tacoma screw people, the 7/16th grade 8 bolts can be torqued about 80 ft-pounds, but they said I should find out what the torque limits are on the transmission, which of course I have no idea! Should I just go for it and do the full 80 ft-pounds? (or maybe 75 just to be safe?)
I may be confused. (Durrr). If you are screwing these bolts into pre-made threads in the tranny, you would want a:metric bolts b:to use the tranny torque spec.
If these bolts just pass thru the old threaded holes in the tranny.. 80 ft-lbs is a lot for a 7/16 bolt. I am just *guessing*, but go maybe 50 ft-lbs? If you want to get closer to the needed value, you can go thru the calc I outlined earlier, and then calculate what torque on the bolt would give the clamping force you need.
Did you get grade 8 nuts to go with the grade 8 bolts? If not I think the nut would strip out...