View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
riva2model64
EcoModding Lurker

Cam - '94 Toyota Camry LE
Hey, thanks for the replies everyone!

So I don't really understand engine breaking so I googled it. . first result said that engine breaking is mostly due to the vacuum, which is caused by the "butterfly valves" being partially closed when your foot is off the gas. So are my "butterfly valves" open too much or something?

Longer gearing may be possible, but considering that all of the newer cars I tried don't coast as fast, has a lower likelihood (but still possible). One of the new cars is an Accord, which appears to cruise at around the same, if not slightly lower, RPM as my 94 Camry at 50 MPH. Not sure how that relates to gearing.

Also, as far as weight is concerned, both heavier cars and a lighter car I tried both don't coast as fast downhill.

After driving it a lot, I noticed that my 94 Camry locks up the torque converted at around 45 MPH. I've got no idea where these newer cars lock up the torque converter. Perhaps the Camry doesn't provide engine breaking until 45 MPH and the newer cars are locking up and providing engine breaking at lower speeds?

Last edited by riva2model64; 09-26-2013 at 01:12 PM..