View Single Post
Old 06-28-2008, 11:52 AM   #110 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttoyoda View Post
If you are screwing these bolts into pre-made threads in the tranny, you would want a:metric bolts b:to use the tranny torque spec.
If these bolts just pass thru the old threaded holes in the tranny.. 80 ft-lbs is a lot for a 7/16 bolt. I am just *guessing*, but go maybe 50 ft-lbs? If you want to get closer to the needed value, you can go thru the calc I outlined earlier, and then calculate what torque on the bolt would give the clamping force you need.
Did you get grade 8 nuts to go with the grade 8 bolts? If not I think the nut would strip out...
The tranny has just nice smooth holes without threads. I guess I was worried that the metal would be gradually smooshed, but I'm using washers, and as I write this, I think that is very unlikely. I hereby delete that question I had! Oh ya, I also got grade 8 nuts. Spared no expense! Did you know that a single 7/16" grade 8 nut is like 85 cents?! That's messed up... The nut also has that plastic ring around it (on the inside) so it won't wiggle loose. That was an extra 1 penny.

My nephew is 50 pounds. I'll just have him sit on my socket wrench precisely at a distance of 12 inches... I couldn't find one of Oprahs feet. Usually, the smell leads me right to it. Dang it!

Also, when I supported the motor with the adapter setup, horizontally, it "felt" like there was almost no force on the motor. Well, I mean it felt like it wasn't a challenge for the adapter plate thing. I am no longer worried about that. It felt way overdone. I think it unlikely that there will be any wiggle.

I really appreciate all of the awesome advice that I'm getting from you guys.