View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 01:26 AM   #23 (permalink)
VxonFumes
EcoModding Lurker

Ed - '92 Honda Civic VX
You had to delete all your NSA spy accounts! Lol!

I saw your vids finally...lot of gauges floating around the cockpit. If I were driving your car I'd have a hard time resisting the urge to flip a few switches and start the countdown to blast off. In other words...very cool.

Noticed your vacuum gauge showed 21 inches of mercury at idle. That's very good...and makes me wonder about mine. My car idles with about 18 inches of Mercury. I *think* my engine is still very sound and tight, and I can't find any vacuum leaks anywhere. I just have a cheap Chinese gauge though...can't comment too much on it's accuracy, but I think it's pretty good. Would 18 inches of vacuum bother you? Hopefully I can find a way to get a compression test done on it.

Also, when almost WOT going up that hill at 13.5 Air Fuel Ratio, did you ever encounter anything close to detonation?

Also, since you seem to know what you're doing...what are your thoughts on this. The idle air control valve has gone to pot on Ed, and has a mind of it's own...sometimes dropping down to 500 rpm, other times it won't go down when you let off the throttle, it actually continues to rise. (no, not stuck throttle cable.) It's a cheap aftermarket part that worked perfect at first, but is already crapped out after one year. Basically, as I see it, the iacv functions almost as a kind of choke, even though that might not be it's primary function. And when it's acting up, the faulty iacv could actually be enrichening the mixture unduly, right? So I'm thinking, once I get the new OEM Honda valve in place in a couple weeks, that theoretically could improve mileage. Thoughts?

I would like to do your mod where you widened the parameters for lean-burn initiation, but that procedure is a bit above my skill level maybe. I am trying to figure out if you're a mechanic or engineer by trade. Or both? I'm a little worried about long-term longevity with such mods, but lean-burn extension seems like a relatively risk free mod, so long as it's done right. It's not like you're adding 20 pounds of boost. How much extra torque would you guestimate the mod gave you? Any downsides in driveability? And you think it gave you an extra 2 mpg?

What I would like to do is rig up a small led light that glows green when lean burn is active...but scared to splice wires into the ECU harness.

Nice work on the car. Ever break your magical 60 mpg barrier yet? I just today, got my best tank ever, at 56.74 mpg, and I think there is still quite a bit of room for improvement, if only my finances would improve first...