View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 05:18 AM   #25 (permalink)
greasemonkee
EcoModding Apprentice

Initially I had a problem with the EGR valve. The valve itself was moving properly, but the old, hardened grease in the sensor was holding that part of it in the open position. The ecu saw this as the valve being open, thus adding a LOAD of timing, finally resulting in detonation that couldn't be remedied even with 93 fuel. After cleaning and regreasing the sensor the problem went away. The fuel controller artificially changes the map signal which changes timing - adding timing in this case. Without having a timing light and watching it under a load (impossible without a dyno) the best I could do was make an educated guess. Ultimately removing a few degrees from the distributor was enough to offset the ecu timing change.

So to answer the question directly, there was no detonation at 13.5 AFR, however it may become more sensitive with too much lead timing at those AFR's. Nevertheless, sure beats 11.8 AFR.

The iac valve is nothing more than a bypass valve to let air around the throttle plate that operates on duty cycle (pulses sent from the ecu). This shouldn't effect economy unless you're really idling high; it has no way of changing the fueling directly. There are a lot of these around - the same on most all D series engines I think. If you want , I may have one on the shelf.

The fuel controllr did give me an increase of about 2 mpg, not from leanburn expansion alone, but leaning the wasteful WOT maps and target lambda. This is a neat system btw, always remains in closed loop when at operating temp.

A light would need a little circuitry I believe, but possible.

Not sure what you speak of on the diverging pipes on the odyssey - haven't touched it - the civic, yes, it's got a DX exhaust manifold. The metal plugs and hose is probably the train horn. Eventually I had enough of people running me off the road because they could see the car. There is only one vacuum tank in place to prolong the power braking during coast.

Metal plugs - ahh, you must be talking about the magnetic oil drain plugs? I make those.

With skinny 185 tires, the car was kissing 60, but difficult. The mountainous terrain require a lot of hard braking - 1000' to 4000' back down to 1000' up and down up and down. On flat road 60 would have been easy. These days I opt for the handling rather than that extra mpg and run the 195-50-15's. The extra speed carried through the curves without having to brake compensates a little.

Haven't really modified the odyssey other than the aero. Just bought a CNG Ram Van to haul my cargo, the odyssey will be sold. At $1.69 a gallon, I'll go for extra cargo space.

And no sir, I'm technically not an engineer or mechanic. I run a route through western NC. I suppose what your title is and what you're good at are two different things.