View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #26 (permalink)
VxonFumes
EcoModding Lurker

Ed - '92 Honda Civic VX
Thanks once again for the reply.

I figured since the idle air control valve bypasses air, the computer reads that in the exhaust stream and add more fuel. I thought it would act the same way as a vacuum leak that way. Whatever the case, it sure is annoying! I'll see if the new one helps. Give me details on your idle air control valve please...esp. what car did it come from? Also, mileage and price? I just purchased one from Majestic Honda though, it's been shipped but I have to pick it up and it's still unopened. The CX and VX have a different IACV than most Honda's, partly because those two models don't have fast idle valves, just a iacv. Most other similar Honda engines have both a iacv and a fast idle valve just under the throttle body, so on the VX the one valve performs double duty somehow.

the plugs had holes in the middle...so was guessing not used as magnetic drain bolts. How much does a descent fuel controller cost? I'm not too up to speed on them. Do you have to splice it into the wiring harness, or is there a more plug and play way to do it...this is OBD1 or zero, not sure which. I am a little nervous about altering fuel ratios though...there is a reason they richen ratios under load, although sometimes Honda does over-engineer things. It could compromise longevity if nothing else...unless you have extremely robust oil in there. Didn't you have an exhaust gas temp gauge? Did it alter the EG temps at all by leaning out the mixture while still under load (going up that mountain)? It should have.

I wasn't sure what I was talking about with divergent pipes either! I don't now which vehicle it was on...but there was a long pipe on the underside that wasn't the exhaust, but looked like another exhaust pipe that ended in what looked like a conical air filter??? I am still baffled by it.

Lastly, didn't mean to pry into your occupation or anything...you just seemed pretty handy so I took a guess. Don't know what I'm good at...got a master's degree that got me nowhere due to the "market," and am now in sales. On top of Amsoil, they also make really good natural fertilizers, but out here getting farmers to consider a more sustainable way to crop than just laying chemicals down is like going through a brick wall. So I guess what I do and what I am good at are sometimes different.

I'll take info on your idle air control valve if you don't mind. Is there a way to personal message me? Thanks again for your time.