View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #95 (permalink)
Accord_Guy
EcoModding Lurker

4 to 2 cyl conversion V2.0

OK so the tests didn't go as well as I was hoping, as the car idled fine but wouldn't take any throttle. I played around with the sensors and the throttle body to no avail, and after a few hours of troubleshooting I just junked the whole thing and re-converted the car back to a 4cyl.

The car still had the same issues though, and after a few more hours I deduced that either the ECU or the wiring to the ECU was bad. When I lifted the carpet where the ECU sits (under the passengers kick panel) I found a pile of aluminum oxide (rusted aluminum) and rusted circuit boards/wiring. Seriously, about 1/3 of the complete ECU casing was eaten away.

I replaced the ECU and wiring and the car ran fine after that.

I archived all of the parts for this project and decided to move to a place where they don't put salt on the road.

It's 15 months later now and I've moved to Brisbane Australia where I can play with 15-20 yo cars that have virtually NO rust. I love it.

And I'm now looking to resurrect my 2cyl conversion project.

What I have:
1995 Honda Accord manual (non V-Tec)
Replacement rockers (ground down so that the valves don't open)
Modified throttle body
Modified Intake and plenum gaskets

Strategy:
1. Remove rockers and disconnect injectors, and figure out which combination of 2 cylinders gives best performance (2 outer, 2 inner or one of each).

2. Install modified throttle body and check performance.

3. Remove pistons and install hose clamps on crank instead of con-rods.

4. Remove balance shaft belt.

I'm probably 4-6 weeks away from this build.

I'll try to post photos as it happens.