View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
plasticuser
EcoModding Lurker

Annette - '04 Ford F150 FX4

Penelope - '08 Mazda CX-7 Sport
90 day: 23.47 mpg (US)
I have explored a lot of options here, and though some think a Raspberry Pi is overkill, I think it provides a great expandable platform. Advantages it has include that it can run a small LCD display in cab, and that it can run several other tasks too, like operating a grille block, monitoring OBDII, etc. The clincher for me is that the RPi has a hardware PWM output.

This makes the RPi 'monitorable' with a display, and also allows seasonal or vehicle customization options with just the plugging in of a USB keyboard. Also, with ethernet and USB, wifi can be trivially added, and the Pi could automatically upload and make available data logs of all activity each time it hits the driveway.

What is needed at this point is generic hardware designs for two areas:

1: an automotive +5V regulated supply that is low cost, heat tolerant and highly efficient, whilst rejecting the worst abuses of an automotive 12v system

2: a transistor array that can switch a large current, efficiently, from a 3.3v 10mA source (the PWM GPIO output on a Pi)

Separately, it would be required to develop an OPEN SOURCE, FREE code library for controlling various systems with simple code segments.

Any offers or suggestions?