View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
plasticuser
EcoModding Lurker

Annette - '04 Ford F150 FX4

Penelope - '08 Mazda CX-7 Sport
90 day: 23.47 mpg (US)
It's the intelligence that can be brought to bear that interests me. A dumb PWM system like you linked can only respond to coolant temperature. It operates only in hindsight and cannot anticipate the future. A load-aware PWM controller can feed cooler coolant in higher load conditions. One of the problems is that coolant flow rate depends on engine RPMs, so low load low rev conditions can heat the coolant as much, if not more, than high rev and load conditions in some cases.

My goal is to create a system which can smartly respond to engine conditions, speed, ambient temperature, load, etc to provide efficient control of fans, a grille block, and possibly future options to control an electric coolant pump, DFCO, warm air intake flap control, etc. The idea is to produce generations of increasingly advanced and more capable designs (with open-source code, schematics, gerbers) so people can develop the ideas further, based on a common hardware reference platform that doesn't have the limitations of an Atmel 328 or *guino....

I know that isn't right for everyone, but it's right for many. As is a plain and simple PWM controller. They both have things going for them.