View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #101 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
I lined it with newspaper and painters tape, taped the paper into place, filling the lower grille, then taping the sides and ends down. I then did the same with foil. This was painters tape.

I couldn't say what failed, but the whole thing was just a mess. I am currently working with the foam carefully, and it is alright for filling the gaps my mirrors made.

I think the biggest mistake was to use a lot of foam at once, and fill the openings. I am being much more sparing now, and it seems like it is alright.
I tried to be conservative with my foam, but with my fog light cavities, I think that I should have only used a little at a time, even though it would have taken much longer that way.

If I ever actually purchase a Civic HX, I would want to make a Kamm-back, even if I did not end up using it. With that, I could cover the area with marine plastic, tape it down well, build foam-board walls, seal the edges with Great Stuff, and then pour expanding foam into the cavity. Trying to sculpt fifteen or twenty square feet sounds like a nightmare!