View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
wmjinman
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
OK, good idea - ran out & grabbed a shot of it. 3 plies of fiberglass, using 6" wide fiberglass cloth "tape" with the middle one being at a 45 degree bias. The weave at the edges of the tape cause the ridges, the price to pay for the convenience of using tape. Hope it's strong enough.

As you can see, I'm using the roof as a mold. My plan is to just continue the curve of the roof back - nice & smooth. To do this, I cut two strips of wood with the curve so I can attach the fiberglass piece to it while the front half lays on the roof ahead of the kamm-back.

For the sides, I plan to use the rear side windows for molds (a little nervous about how to release it though - if it decides to "stick"). Although I haven't cut them out yet, I'm thinking of doing similar boards to hold the sides at a smooth continuation, too. Then hand-lay the transition between the top & sides with an increasing radius towards the rear.

EDIT: OK, just got it removed from the roof. The "trick" - use a long butcher knife to progressively work the separation between the roof & the fiberglass, blade first, then by lifting the edge up enough to get the knife's handle under it & keep progressing until it's all free. I alternated slicing motions and in & out "slow stabbing" motions to work it loose. I'm still not 100% confident this will work on the glass side windows, which will not flex *much* without breaking. But it worked on the top. There seems to be decent strength, even though it's probably not fully cured yet. It seems to want to warp, or twist. This is probably because I only used the tape to do the 45 degree bias in one direction - probably should have laid another with the tape edges running 45 degrees the opposite way on top of the first biased ply. Will probably be OK though, once the sides are attached and the whole thing is anchored to the hatchback.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fiberglass on gnat's roof.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	13834  

Last edited by wmjinman; 09-30-2013 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: update