View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 10:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Jeff, it seems like you are lining up the bottom of your vehicle with the wheel fairings, not the actual bottom of the template vehicle. Your 4Runner definitely has a high clearance, but it is tall overall, and I think that it scales decently. Also, it looks like the wheels are not completely level, so I adjusted that, and did the Template, temporarily in white, for better contrast, but it looks better in black!

Regarding the bottom of the boattail, I believe that is entirely dependent on the location of the rear wheels and\or bumper. I am not saying that what I did with this Forester was correct technique, but if you are going to have a belly pan, I do not see why you could not start curving the bottom as soon as possible:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck View Post
Instead of removing the existing roof rack, use it to incorporate the boat tail by building the roof line up to make it the new highest point as far forward as possible using the template. Then only a small portion behind the rear of the vehicle will then stick out. Think of it as a hump back whale.
Honestly, I keep trying to figure out how to just do the roof section. It seems counterintuitive that by increasing the frontal area, I could shorten a boat-tail.

I hope that this helps!
The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-03-2013)