View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
UltArc
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
An air dam is going to increase front area. The benefit of an air dam (from my interpretation) is to stop the air from going underneath. So if your underbody is terrible, an air dam would be good. If you are totally smooth and looking good, I would not do an air dam, as one does increase frontal area- and there is not much benefit. When I completed my final underbody (all the way back, and into the diffuser), I was done with the air dam. I'd say I removed it, but I didn't get a chance to- a giant puddle did lol.

I first suggest an air splitter, easiest to build/install, live with day to day while still helping.
Then an air dam, pretty easy to install, and only a bit difficult to live with (bumps/hills/pot holes).
Finally, a total underbody is easiest to live with, had the lowest drag w/o increasing frontal area, but is definitely the most difficult to do well.

This is all subjective to my experience, and may vary vehicle to vehicle. I am not doing a total air dam on the Insight because the underbody is so good already, and when I make it totally flat & sealed, the frontal area increase won't be worth it (in my mind).

I would note the tires are a rough spot, and including those could skew my mental calculations. It also depends what you can make work, ease/cost, and what it is worth to you. For me, Mustang vs Insight really varies the project- Insight must be dirt cheap, doesn't matter how it looks. Mustang must look decent to good, and be cost effective/worthwhile for the adventure/learning experience.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.