View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty Modder View Post
Big trucks, lol. Love them but hate them at the same time. Got rid of my suburban for a Mazda pickup. Best mod for my Sub was removing the roof rack.picked up 20% mpg's.
To reduce the wake consider a rear mounted spare, with a kamm cover. Also consider a airdam, 10% of the work of a full belly and 75% of the returns.
Honestly, I think that lawn edging looks surprisingly good for an air dam. I bought a roll and a box of black self-tapping screws, but I keep trying to not drive my car, while I watch for a Civic HX. When I find one of those, I would be installing the air dam immediately.

On Car MPG Efficiency Modifications Main - EcoModder, it shows
Quote:
Belly pan / under tray 3.48%
3 user average
and

Quote:
Front air dam 4.73%
3 user average
As always, your mileage may vary, but I am positive that we have had more than three members make belly pans, and we probably have members that have made three or more air dams. I think that we need to gather data from our members. Also, dams and pans are not necessarily mutually-exclusive. I remember reading that having both is better than one or the other.

Also, I imagine that you could make and live with enough modifications to match a boat tail easier than you could with an actual boat tail.

Prove me wrong!