View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 12:49 AM   #1128 (permalink)
Occasionally6
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEnemy View Post
Yes you can... Average global temperature helps smooth out the weather effects. For instance if its above average in southern hemisphere, most of Europe, and Asia, but below Average in the US, the global average is still above average. There are multiple pieces to the puzzle, I am just trying to work on one of them, even though I am being told that is not good enough and that I don't know what a climate model is.
No, because the quantity of heat energy trapped depends on local temperature. The way in which heat is moved around (via mass transfer) affects local temperature depending on where it ends up. Heat energy is not the same thing as temperature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEnemy View Post
I want to see the guts of their calculations, I want to see how they came about their answers.
Even access to the full papers won't tell you that. The method used will be described and the results discussed. There is sufficient information for another group of people to duplicate the work if it is possibly equivocal or avoid duplicating if it is not. In either case an alternative method may - almost invariably will - be used as a check by another group.

There is sufficient information in the abstracts to get an idea of the approach taken anyway.

In the case of models, the detailed code is not accessible. That is the IP of the people doing the work.

Last edited by Occasionally6; 10-02-2013 at 01:07 AM..