View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post
Xist, when I setup the template to the truck I wasn't worried about the bottom at all. I was trying to line up the template to the point where the windshield and roof meet and the point where the roof and rear hatch meet. I don't want to build a boat tail (yet), just a kammback attached to a roof rack. Do you think from the position of my template the rear end angles down too hard, too fast compared to yours, where it is much more elongated? If I add a new/modified belly pan, my plan is actually to start sloping it upwards basically immediately as much as possible, that way when it leaves the rear end, it will already be starting the "boattail". Does that make sense?

I just realized, am I supposed to line up the '0º' of the template to the end of the rear corner of the truck?
You are supposed to line up 0º with the high point of the roof and for my car, that is the end. For yours, it might be also, but unless you make the roof taller, and it sounds like you plan to, then you would not start boat-tailing until the back of the vehicle.

The way we did the template on yours, you would already be tapering at 8º from your new high point, while my car would be at 0º. Transitioning from a belly pan to a boat tail should be idea. I believe this is how the bottom would be, if you built a boat-tail:

Assuming, of course, that is just the muffler tip below the bumper, and you would want that outside of the template.