View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #27 (permalink)
Sam Powell
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I understand them unplugging it, if they need to run diagnostics, but mechanics always remove mine, too. With the 3M tape that I use now, they would need to forcibly rip of my Ultragauge, and I am pretty sure that I would complain about that afterward, as I would need to scrape off the old tape and redo it.

It is not listed under Car MPG Efficiency Modifications Main - EcoModder or 65+ Vehicle modifications for better fuel economy - EcoModder.com. My understanding is that they actually create vortices in order to control airflow (Vortex generator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia seems to verify that), but they are not really DIY things, unless you have access to a wind tunnel. A Kamm-back would control airflow without creating vortices, yielding a larger difference

According to the Wikipedia page, they are actually installed on the front of a wing, not the back.
There is an interesting web page I will try to re-find where a guy used pieces of yarn taped to the back window to find the best placement for a vortex generator. As i understand it the goal of the kammback and vortex generator are just the opposite.

Sam