View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
hat_man
Master EcoModder

Oh Deer - '03 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
Simple exhaust question

I was reading some of the exhaust threads to get some insight but can't find quite what I'm looking for. The exhaust pipe on my '97 Ranger rotted off some time ago. All of it....all the way back. It didn't sound all that bad so I just added a short turn down piece and left it. Now that the muffler is going I am looking at options for a new exhaust. I have a couple of questions though.

First...does anyone think the lack of back pressure is hurting my FE? I have read mixed reviews on here but the general idea is a resounding "maybe". I am planning on replacing it but was considering a custom bent pipe with as few bends as possible. Something as straight as I can realistically and physically get.

Second...this little truck still has the original catalytic converter. 220K miles of exhaust have been through it. Time to replace it? If I do (and probably will) does it help FE? I mean in the sense that a new one would be more efficient than the old one on there now. Definitely will help the environment. BTW no emissions testing in Illinois for my truck.

Third...Does it make a difference where in the exhaust system the muffler is located? Right now I have to use an 8" round muffler. All the catalogs call for an oval muffler with offset intake/outlet. I tell the counter guy it won't fit...he says "It should...that's what's in the book". I take him out and show him and he scratches his head. Happens every time. Oval rubs the driveshaft. Can I move it farther back to a more open location? Does it need to be close to the cat? I know some cars have the muffler at the very rear but I don't know if they were designed that way or not.

As for pipe diameter I wasn't planning on changing that from stock. Ford seems to have done a pretty fair job with the Ranger in terms of FE but there is always room for improvement. Unless there is a huge consensus that says Ford made a mistake with exhaust size, I think stock is the way to go.

Well that's about it. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to hat_man For This Useful Post:
101Volts (10-04-2013)