View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Gasoline Fumes
Too many cars

CRXFi - '88 Honda CRX XFi

Insight 256 - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights

Insight 5342 (no IMA) - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 66.3 mpg (US)
It's much stronger and thicker than coroplast. More like a skid plate than a belly pan! Unfortunately it's heavier too.

That's something like air dam version 4.0 at this point. Really more of a splitter. I wanted to get the air to go around the car without adding frontal area. It sticks out past the original bumper, so I'm hoping all the air that hits the bumper will go around and not under. I think it works, I got my best highway MPG after putting it on there. The splitter is just the top section of a spare bumper cover. So it perfectly matches the bumper on the car! I noticed I needed less of a grill opening after installing the splitter, there must be more pressure on the bumper now.

The pieces in front of the tires are rubber hay baler belting. Similar to a mud flap or a lightweight conveyor belt. They hit the road a lot without damage.

And the grill block is made from another bed liner piece! I've been meaning to start a thread about the front end, but I was waiting until I finished the active grill block. I guess I don't have to wait.

Here are my earlier attempts at an air dam and grill block:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ock-13112.html
2006 Honda Insight (parts car)
1988 Honda CRXFi
1994 Geo Metro