View Single Post
Old 10-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
H-Man
The brake pedal is evil

Denny's Detector - '08 Mercury Grand Marquis

Taserface - '17 Chevy Volt
TDCL, Toyota OBD1 diagnostic port reader, poor man's scanguage

I was searching for a pinout for the toyota diagnostic port on my 1994 geo prizm to see if I could get more than just the O2 sensor off of the connector, and I found a tool that might work. primavistalab.com/myengine/ - Translator Down at the bottem of the page is the English version.

I'll test it when I have a chance to build the cable, but it looks promising. Looking at the translated version, the software can show fuel consumption. I know a MPGuino is a better long term solution for a FCD, but this allows me to see what the ECU is seeing so I can find any issues with my car.
EDIT: I found a PDF that outlines behavior in diagnostic mode, it looks like you can setup a micro-controller real easily to read the code.
http://carina-e.ru/download/file.php?id=20531
I found what looks to be the source code for the software, or it might not be, I can't tell, but it has the same results, it looks like what I found can be re skinned for English, gallons, and miles.

EDIT:
Cartester8000 seems to work for reading the data stream. A USB to RS232 dongle off of ebay and a simple cable is all that is needed hardware wise.

OBD-1 Serial Interface - Toyota Wiki

Last edited by H-Man; 03-31-2016 at 05:08 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to H-Man For This Useful Post:
Daox (03-31-2016)