View Single Post
Old 10-06-2013, 03:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
defacto7
EcoModding Lurker

Hello Formula413,

Yes, the grid charger has given me my hybrid car back. It's been a great asset. As far as the fan, I simply added a 12V supply that runs a computer fan that I mounted right over the car fan outlet pulling outward. It runs when it's charging and does the job well. I decided since it does all the cooling necessary I don't need to mess with the cars fan. Anyway, I understand the fan is coded (smart) and not just a simple wire job.

I charge it every couple of days for a couple of hours at 375ma at 195 to 200V. I charge it once every couple of weeks over night for up to 24 hours to balance it a bit. I am ending up with a full 174V still, which is a full battery. I havn't gone through a discharge cycle yet; it just doesn't seem necessary... yet. My IMA light has stopped comming on period. Part of that has to do with resetting the computer every time I do a full charge because the computer doesn't know what to do if the voltage keeps going out of it's range; that's my guess. Our model has a fuse in the "motor" compartment that has to be pulled to reset it. If you pull it for 5 seconds, it resets the computer only. If you pull it for 30 or more seconds, it resets everything (radio etc) which is of no value. I put a switch that I built with a fuse in it that connects to the fuse plug. That way, I just open the hood, flip the switch for 5 sec. and flip it back. Easy.

The whole process has been working like a charm for over a year and if I had not built this charger, the battery would be long gone by now. I think the new computer update from Honda has changed the top charge from the correct charge of 174V down to 162V so you never get a full charge with the car system and this is detrimental to NiMH batteries. It lessens their life span and lowers their overall performance. Punching them up at low amps and higher voltage seems to make them more at home.

I have never regreted the grid charger.