View Single Post
Old 10-06-2013, 06:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
How do you help others get better MPG? (On the road, while driving)

The majority of the topics on Ecomodder are aimed at increasing personal fuel economy, and rightly so. After all, your own actions are the easiest to influence. However, there are small ways to increase the fuel economy of other drivers sharing the road, and sometimes the small things can make big differences.

Here are some of the things I do that may help increase the fuel economy for others:
  • When stopped at a red light, I will move to the far left of the lane to allow others to sneak by and make a right turn.
  • While stopped at a red light, I will quickly accelerate immediately after a light turns green if I see someone approaching, preventing them from also coming to a stop.
  • In stop and go traffic, I attempt to drive at the average speed, allowing a gap to develop in front of me when traffic is moving, and closing the gap as traffic comes to a stop. This not only reduces my acceleration/brake events, but also those of everyone following behind.
  • While approaching a bend in the road that most people would brake for, I gradually reduce speed, eliminating the need to brake, and hopefully reducing the need to brake for those following behind.
  • Timing lights to preserve momentum. The momentum of the cars following behind is also preserved (This may annoy drivers, regardless of the fact they are getting better economy without sacrificing time.

What are some other ways we can influence the fuel economy of other drivers?

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (10-07-2013), jeff88 (10-06-2013), MetroMPG (10-06-2013), user removed (10-06-2013)