View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Thenorm
EcoModding Apprentice

The Rental - '13 Hyundai i30
90 day: 37.55 mpg (US)

Autocross - '04 Ford Focus ZX3
90 day: 24.76 mpg (US)

The Wifes - '02 Ford Focus SVT
90 day: 23.54 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post

--------------
So a bleed valve won't work, but what about a device like the transducer in the first post, which is designed to only put out the appropriate amount of air, no more and no less. If the engine requires less than atmospheric pressure, than the transducer will be able to supply it. If it needs more, than it will supply that instead. Looking at the zero-based range transducer, the supply pressure needs to be at least 5PSI more than output (I assume for losses). If a turbo supplied all the air above atmosphere, than this could be relatively efficient (it uses milli-Amps). Less than atmospheric pressure and it can use "regular" air or turbo compressed air if the turbo is spooling.

This is just an idea, keep shooting me down if I'm wrong or forgot an important piece! I'm a little slow sometimes!
your transducer or any other device still wouldnt work. I'll lay out my assumptions clearly so this doesnt look like a wall of text.

-The cylinder on the intake stroke always moves a set distance and has a set volume, regardless of intake pressure.
-if you had a device to limit the amount of air particles entering the engine, lets say 50% of the particles. they would still occupy 100% of the volume in the cylinder, but now would be at half the pressure as governed by the equation PV=nRT . ie if n is 1/2 then P must be 1/2 to balance (all other factors stay same).
-lets also assume that the cylinder didn't fire and the air just went for a ride through the compression and power stroke. it would still be at half pressure when it comes time to the exhaust stroke, to get the air out of the cylinder, you would have to compress it back up from half pressure to atmospheric pressure to expell it into the exhaust, so it has the same pumping losses as if you had a throttle.

anyways, always keep thinking and generating ideas, even if they don;t work out, it is important to keep learning, which is my favourite thing in the world