View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #86 (permalink)
zjrog
Ecomod noob

ZJ - '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Upcountry
90 day: 20.57 mpg (US)

Neon - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)

S'Crew - '02 Ford F150 Supercrew XLT
90 day: 16.4 mpg (US)

Ranger - '90 Ford Ranger
Last 3: 28.02 mpg (US)

Not the Jeep - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 34.11 mpg (US)
I just found and read this thread for the first time and look forward to seeing what you can accomplish. I can understand wanting to keep it all AMC and applaud that. SO let me toss another idea for others out there. Indeed parts for the AMC derived 6 are available, and AMC did some great things reworking the 6 to make it a 4.0/242. Now, I know it sounds odd, but if you started with a 4.0 block and pistons, and used the 258/4.2 crank and rods, you get a 4.5 liter stroker motor. Tons of torque and plenty of HP. Some prefer the 87-90 block casting but the later 4.0 HO heads, with 2000 and up model intakes. Performance cams are available. EFI options range from the 87-90 Renix (Renault/Bendix) system. Not easy to decode but darned near bulletproof code. No programmers or diagnostic machines to read it. Poking a big hole through your firewall for the wiring for Renix or any EFI might not meet your desires, but at least with Renix you can still run your original speedo and maybe adapt the gauges to work with the wiring harness. Or, the Chrysler derived EFI set from the HO. Or of course, MS.

Keeping it all AMC, using anything from the driveline from a 93-98 Grand Cherokee works, as it was basically AMC's last design hurrah. After the buyout, Chrysler spent a lot of time re-engineering the interior and adapting Chrysler electrics/electronics.

There was the Peugot based 5 speed for 87-90, which many people hate. Not very strong. THen the AX15 which is pretty stout. I'm not familiar enough with the NV3500 to comment. The AW4 automatic has a nearly stand alone electronic module, many allow a performance/economy switch to alter shift patterns. Its a modern 4 speed auto and is very strong. I'd sure love a 6 speed manual for my Grand Cherokee.

I love your project, I had a 65 Rambler wagon, can't recall the model. But it had a 3 on the tree and frequently hung up in 2nd.