View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
ps2fixer
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
I don't think 30mpg will be too hard, but my conditions are pretty ideal for mpg. Long trips (40 miles one way to work), I can drive 45-55mph w\e is the most efficient, not too many of stops, mainly rolling turns.

I checked the truck out a bit better today, and basically the whole floor pan for the drivers side needs replaced including rocker pannels, the frame is pretty much toast, sadly the chain saw bars are probably holding it together. There is hope, the guy said the 2wd truck has a solid frame, but sadly it is the reg cab, I'm 6'2" so I need all the room I can get lol. Anyway, worse case, I'll get this one going and just use it as a play toy till the frame gets too bad, and I'll be keeping an eye out for another with a solid body/frame.

Anyway, back to the running issue. the clamps were not tight on the intake to the mass air flow meter, so I fixed the clamps (all bent up oem ones) and got it sealed up and it would atleast idle. It still went up and down for rpm though . Pretty sure it needs the vacuum lines replace, don't see any holes or major dry rot, but several are rather loose fitting and probably are leaking slightly. The O2 sensor isn't hooked up, so maybe the ECU is searching for it's learning curve, but it can't get a reading so it keeps going rich/lean? The wire harness is pretty hacked up, so this isn't exactly an ideal machine to fix up for good .

I have been a fan of the older Toyotas, mainly the 80s pickups and the 70s corollas, the 90s Camry and Corolla are boring to drive, but reliable. My dad had an 82 pickup with only 30k miles on it, sat for a good 18 years in his pole barn waiting for the body work to be done (he never got to it lol), gave it to me for my 16th birthday, and it had to sit outside for a few years. In that time, the frame went to complete crap, and I had a ranger at the time, so didn't see a point in trying to fix it even though now I'm kicking my self lol. Anyway, the body went to the scrap yard, engine and trans was sold. It was the 2wd model too.