View Single Post
Old 10-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #16 (permalink)
kafer65
Tinkerer

Silver - '15 Mazda CX-5 Sport
Team Mazda
90 day: 37.23 mpg (US)
I'm so jealous of your slant setup, Sam! Its exactly what I'd like to do to my pickup. I even toyed with a light boost setup as well. I've thought about putting MS on both of my old vehicles. As for tuning ideas, you want to run the lowest revs as possible to reduce the friction of the moving parts in the drivetrain until you hit a point where you have to consider if you are getting sufficient oiling of the engine AND the engine is having to require too much throttle (load) to deliver enough horsepower to push the vehicle through the air. If you apply some aeromods to reduce the effort it takes to go through the air at highway speeds you will reduce the load at the rpm cells and lean the air/fuel mix and gain mpg. Some of the old VW gurus were running 16:1 airfuels in their buses in dinky aircooled motor. My old camper got 28mpg, but it was way too lean and I couldn't go very fast without getting the heads too hot. It weighed 4000 pounds and 1600cc engine couldn't push that brick without needing extra fuel to cool the combustion. Your engine has a lot of torque and displacement in comparison. I've heard our slants have peak torque at about 2500rpm, but I know it will require less fuel at lower rpms if you can be sure to keep the load on the engine down enough to get the air/fuel up. What's your final drive ratio(rearend ratio + last gear).