View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
meebo001
Corollasaurus-Rex

Airdam Attachment method

My airdam is a piece of lawn trim like everyone else seems to using. Bottom side is a cylinder for strength, the upper side is a design with 2 ridges on one side and a 3rd on the back. All of them are short (0.75 cm) and flat, not ideal for much. I cut mine down to only one ridge facing forward and used that to seat itself around the inside of the lower lip of my corolla's front bumper. this lip is open for most of the bumper and closes towards the wheel. I then drilled 5x m6 bolt holes through the plastic bumper, placed a small L bracket above the lawn edging, placed my aluminum flashing chin pan over that and fed the bolt through for a washer and nut to hold the whole thing in place. The finished look is clean and if I chose so I can cover the bolts with a plastic cap, but they're easily out of sight. Right now the airdam is sturdy enough being held forward with the L bracket, but another set of bolts could be put through. Flat T brackets would be ideal for keeping shape but I would rather not because scraping would likely bend it or put more pressure on the above assembly and eventually break the bumper. I'd rather just replace the 7$ lawn trim when it's done.
The dam is terminated before the wheels where the body is screwed together. An L bracket is put in to give me a mount for the side of the dam. It keeps the whole thing taught along the bumper lip. It's not the perfect place to mount but a few spacing washers make it work. It also gives me a place to put a zap strap mount for part of my bellypan.