View Single Post
Old 10-14-2013, 09:53 PM   #271 (permalink)
Sven7
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Updates.

I have driven to work once in the past two weeks. I really am not using my automobiles much at all except on the weekends.

In two days I'm leaving for the rally, and had to (wanted to) make my car a bit more rally-friendly. I drive so little that I don't even bother hypermiling much anymore. LRR tires went away, drop springs went away and air dam said bye-bye. In were stock springs, new rear shocks, new rear drums/shoes and new rear upper control arms (the Ebay ones broke).

Used 195/60/15 Blizzaks on Cobalt steelies.

MG 4476 par Tyler Linner, on ipernity

I'm getting it aligned then heading out to the rally.

Also, last weekend I went with a work friend to the Ohio Bop Til You Drop HPV race in Springfield. It was amazing! I loved seeing all the rigs out there, and even got to try out a lowracer. (If you were there, I was the short kid with the SAAB shirt. Thanks for the hospitality and info!)

Trying out a lowracer, courtesy of Mr. Ollinger:

NSFW Language (I was excited!)

This has solidified in my mind that the "Stromlinet Vogn II" may be virtually useless to me. The recumbent streamliners at that event would get me to about 30mph, enough to roll around town expediently and without fuel.

My friend and I are going to build a lowracer out of wood and whatnot to test head tube angles and offset, and to get the frame fitment correct before we build the final version which I will use for commuting.

The plans are to build a RWD, multi-speed vehicle. The frame will be modular, with a stressed aluminum seat to which the rear fork and front subframe will bolt. We're thinking 16" up front and 20" out back, and I insist on routing the chain up and over the front wheel for practicality. Still undecided whether the subframes will be steel or carbon fiber. With the modular design it should be not only lighter than normal, but relatively easy to switch out frame parts for lighter or better ones down the road.

I should be able to cruise at about 20mph without a fairing of any kind, and if that goes alright I will probably begin work on a fairing. This is a project that I think I can handle with his help, and that will benefit me in the short run (next few years).

All this talk about lowracers and bike commuting brought us to talk about radical lifestyle changes up to and including selling my car. I am going to test this theory. After this weekend I will be going an entire month without driving my car or truck. We will see if it is practical. I am not sure I want to ride to Royal Oak on the Pink Terror, but the only reason I'd do that is for car parts. If I have no car, I don't buy parts for it, pay insurance for it, etc. The truck would ditch the collector plates and use normal plates in that circumstance.

MG 4351 par Tyler Linner, on ipernity

That's about it. I haven't been around here much, and haven't been working much on the car but that doesn't mean I've stopped living efficiently and frugally.

Last edited by Sven7; 10-15-2013 at 08:42 AM..