View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 11:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
JeffD
EcoModding Lurker

Old Blue - '99 Nissan Frontier XE
90 day: 27.39 mpg (US)

Sube2 - '12 Subaru Legacy
90 day: 25.56 mpg (US)
Deejaaa, I'd be happy to clarify if I can. If your confusion is on why a half tonneau, then aerohead is definitely the guy to talk about that. Unfortunately I don't have data on performance with and without since I didn't isolate the change, but I suspect it's different depending on the truck. I've also seen folks reference anywhere from 30% to 60% coverage. I'm thinking optimal coverage is probably geometry dependent and may change with the truck as well. I could have done a better job testing, sorry 'bout that.

Aerohead, I did find a copy of the GM patent and it did clearly show that having a wall hurt performance as you say. Even so, I'd like to keep it for practicality. I suspect the stuff in the "trunk" might remain dry without it, but I'd still like to keep items out of sight. I am also considering adding a lock someday. The wall is aft of the front edge of the cover by about a foot, so I was hoping that would help - the low pressure acting on the forward wall instead of the tailgate.

While writing this, you got me thinking about 2 things though: 1) How well does it have to be sealed for the low pressure to have an effect? and 2) I wonder if using one of those mesh tail gate things instead of a wall would improve performance while keeping stuff from moving forward while stopping.