View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #285 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
It depends a lot on how aerodynamic that tow is. If it is it would hardly add any stress at all. If it follows the template it could even reduce total drag so it would wear less on the transmission, not more.
Remember cars should be able to handle the power they can produce by design. A long climb uphill without a tow would strain the transmission just as much as towing something heavy and unaerodynamical on the flat.

When in doubt adjust your speed... or measure gear box temp.
I have a cheap digital thermometer that I attach to whatever I want to measure. Was intake air, but now I have my UltraGauge that's not needed anymore so it can boldly go where no temp sensor has gone before...

The Insight has a maximum tow weight of exactly 0 pounds (or stone, ounces, milligrams, you name it) so I have a rooftop box to take the family stuff for a weekend off (need to talk with the wife again about that...)
The rooftop box adds 25% to my fuel consumption. I bet a small trailer would cost me less!

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.