View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #291 (permalink)
monster76
EcoModding Lurker

f350 4x4 - '99 Ford f350 xl
90 day: 13.52 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestclimb View Post
That could be fun to watch, but if one had the need to pull a backhoe on a regular basis then a truck capable of pulling it would be the way to go. If one had no need to pull a large load regularly then a large truck seems like an affectation.

Having pulled over 3 tons (closer to 5) of wood in the last little while (2000lb tow rated Subaru and multiple trips), by far the largest amount of time dealing with it has been cutting, trimming, chopping, splitting, loading, unloading, and stacking. Even with the extra trips the pulling of the wood was pretty minimal. If I had to go farther or had other large loads to pull then a bigger rig to pull it may have been useful but for the rest of the time (for me anyway) it would be unused capacity. I have a full size pickup that was parked for this wood getting season but used last season. The Subaru pulled more wood than I could fit into the truck, got better mileage while pulling. Plus I had a usable vehicle while the load was waiting for me to process it.

For more than incidental usage a large truck makes sense with your metro for a daily driver.
yea i only said it because of the out pulling the f250 comment. nut i totally agree if i didnt use my truck my truck as a truck id just keep a tiny car car as a daily

99 f350, diesel 7.3 auto 4x4 with 1200 rpm triple disk converter, ts perfromance chip, 4" turbo back exhaust, 4:10 gears trucks weight with me in it is 8100# its a work/daily vehicle