View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
320touring
Master EcoModder

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Clio 182 - '05 Renault Clio RS 182 182
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
It's quite the conclusion:
Indeed- essentially seems to suggest that the format and approach is such that the i3 is almost considered NORMAL- the comparison with the Prius + is telling..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakbadger View Post
Thank you for the article 320touring. It's a really neat vehicle and it sounds like the reviewer was quite enamored with it---but I just have to say, its sides are a total disaster.

And isn't a black roof the exact opposite of the trend on EM
:P
It is really neat to see electric vehicles gain larger acceptance. I think a large part of that has to do with electric vehicle manufacturers making their cars "cool." BMW, being well known for "cool" cars already, already had a bit of an advantage in that department.
Sides and roof are ok- currently in Europe there's a big following for "softroaders" like the Nissan Quashqi/Ford Kuga etc. So I think they're trying to tap that market too.

The black roof to attract heat would be handy in Scotland

re the cool cars- alas no!
BMW have "halo" models like the m3/5 etc, but the main brand is poor- dull as ditchwater and prone to understeer + full of Niche bull**** like the 5GT 3GT etc.
They outsell ford over here in the company car market by some margin, and their current diesel engines have quite the reputation for timing chain failures/dpf/thermostat/turbo and egr issues.
Gone are the days of "engineered to a spec"- we live in a "build down to a budget" reality. Driven by the new company car every 3 years approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtRitter View Post
Wow! 155/70 19s... Wonder if the wheels come in the 5x100 bolt pattern...
Also am amused by the phrase
Most BMW's are 5x 120 now and the 155/70/19s are almost like a throwback to the 175/70/14s of yesteryear

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
But ugly IMO.
Inside and out.
I'll have the Tesla , thank you
Form over function? Poor show:-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post
Why do high efficiency cars have to look so ugly? I don't think the i3 would be so bad, but with the weird window lines, it throws everything off. I think one of the reasons why the Tesla has done so well, is not because it's electric or covetable, but because it looks like a normal car.
I tried to do an aero-template, but the software doesn't work on my phone (I can't slide the pic or template on the screen). It seemed to match up fairly well. The rear roofline has a nice, not overly aggressive slope to it.
you make a good point re acceptability, but I reckon if it provides an effective solution, it'll be accepted- just like the prius, and 4cyl diesel BMWs!

I imagine the roof slope wont be too far off- minimum effort to move= best range

US MPG for my Renault Clio 182

---------------------------------------------------