View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
WyrTwister
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
For your situation, it seems that leaving lights on is nearly equivalent in efficiency compared with the resistance heater. If you prefer the extra light, then that is an excellent way to heat.

During summer months though, I would swap out the incandescents with CFL for the lights that tend to stay on long periods of time.

Weren't no CFL's . :-) This was back in the stone age , in my early / mid 20's .

I did skimp on the lighting in the summer .

Also , the apartment was on the 2nd of 3 floors . So the apartment had a conditioned space above me and below me . And only 2 outside walls . The side walls were common with conditioned space , also .

The disadvantage with the 2nd floor was toting my stuff up or down the stairs , when I moved in and moved out .

I now have CFL's all over the house . Been using them a LONG time . Since before they came down in price .

But , I have gas heat . Except for the 12,000 BTU mini split A/C - Heat Pump we installed this summer . I have been experimenting with the HP ( living room and dining room ) . So far , I think I like it .

God bless
Wyr