View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #24 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

[QUOTE=RedDevil;396230]From that link:
Quote:
Each year the cycling teams are given the opportunity to achieve record speeds along a straight section of road in Battle Mountain, Nevada. It’s a fantastic stretch of straight asphalt that’s almost 10 km long. The cyclists have eight kilometres to accelerate and their speed is measured during the last 200 metres.
So where in that does it say anything about the location being selected for altitude? I don't see it. All I see is a quote that confirms what I said earlier: the event is held there because there's this long straight & level stretch of road, which has very little traffic so the authorities will allow it to be closed to traffic for the competition.

And far from being chosen because of the elevation, it's actually about as low as any place within several hundred miles.

Quote:
We Dutch do know what mountains are...
Quite likely you do know what mountains are (though note this event is not held in the mountains, but in a broad valley). All I have said is that if they honestly believe that running the same machine/pedaler combination at sea level will let them get higher speeds, they are sadly misinformed.

Last edited by jamesqf; 10-20-2013 at 09:35 PM..